Today we have the pleasure of introducing you to ALX Community member Ky Washington, a multitalented force in the green beauty and wellness space. She has more than a decade’s experience as a TV, film, and special events makeup artist, working with clients including CNN, ABC, Starbucks, and Modern Bride (just to scratch the surface). A couple years ago, after a health scare and struggle with fertility issues, Ky says she learned that “what you put on and in your body can affect the way it performs. I changed my lifestyle and my health greatly improved—and as a bonus, my skin is awesome! Once my clients noticed the changes in me, they started inquiring how they could make changes themselves, so I started researching everything and eventually transitioned my kit to a clean one.” Thus was born her lifestyle brand Modern Green Goddess. “The name of my business started with me embracing my feminine energy and not conforming to patriarchy. That’s how I found my goddess,” she says. Ky is also the co-founder of Clean Beauty Artists, a clean beauty agency that offers professional service in the DC and New York areas, with new locations on the horizon.
- Mascara to add shape to the eyes.
- Foundation or tinted moisturizer to color correct the skin.
- Concealer to hide dark circles or blemishes.
- Blush, because “everyone needs a little color.”
- Brow gel or brow pencil. “This is most important. It frames your face and makes you look put together.”
- Lip gloss, which projects your lips so people listen to what you say. “Don’t be a chicken—go bolder than you think!
- Wear a really good moisturizer. Her current favorite is the Counterman Oil Free Face Lotion from Beautycounter. (“I borrowed it from my husband and never gave it back.”)
- Get an invisible brow gel, which Ky says is amazing for smoothing wild brows or other facial hair and catching stray hairs before Zooming. Her go-to is Beautycounter’s Brilliant Brow Gel.
- Use a concealer. “Look, if you had too many beers, or didn’t get enough sleep, it shows. Just take a couple dots under the eyes, or any place that’s red or discolored, and tap in with your finger until it’s blended.” Ky recommends the Conceal + Correct liquid concealer from vegan brand Clove + Hallow because it’s more matte and won’t look out of place.