I. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect “Non-Personal Information” and “Personal Information.” Non-Personal Information includes information that cannot be used to personally identify you, such as anonymous usage data, general demographic information we may collect, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, preferences you submit and preferences that are generated based on the data you submit and number of clicks. Personal Information includes your email, address, contact information, date of birth and other personal information, which you submit to us through the registration process at the Site.
- Information collected via Technology
To activate the Web Service you do not need to submit any Personal Information other than your email address. To use the Web Service thereafter, you do need to submit further Personal Information, which may include full name, email, address, contact information, date of birth and other personal information. However, in an effort to improve the quality of the Web Service, we track information provided to us by your browser or by our software application when you view or use the Web Service, such as the website you came from (known as the “referring URL”), the type of browser you use, the device from which you connected to the Web Service, the time and date of access, and other information that does not personally identify you. We track this information using cookies, or small text files that include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to a user’s browser from our servers and are stored on the user’s computer hard drive. Sending a cookie to a user’s browser enables us to collect Non-Personal information about that user and keep a record of the user’s preferences when utilizing our services, both on an individual and aggregate basis.
ALX Community may use both persistent and session cookies; persistent cookies remain on your computer after you close your session and until you delete them, while session cookies expire when you close your browser.
- Information you provide us by registering for an account
- Children’s Privacy
The Site and the Web Service are not directed to anyone under the age of 15. The Site does not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 15, or allow anyone under the age of 15 to sign up for the Web Service. In the event that we learn that we have gathered personal information from anyone under the age of 15 without the consent of a parent or guardian, we will delete that information as soon as possible. If you believe we have collected such information, please contact us at [email protected]
II. HOW WE USE AND SHARE INFORMATION
In general, the Personal Information you provide to us is used to help us communicate with you. For example, we use Personal Information to contact users in response to questions, solicit feedback from users, provide technical support, and inform users about promotional offers.
We may share Personal Information with outside parties if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to meet any applicable legal process or enforceable governmental request; to enforce applicable Community Rules, including investigation of potential violations; to address fraud, security or technical concerns; or to protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
III. HOW WE PROTECT INFORMATION
We implement security measures designed to protect your information from unauthorized access. Your account is protected by your account password, and we urge you to take steps to keep your personal information safe by not disclosing your password and by logging out of your account after each use. We further protect your information from potential security breaches by implementing certain technological security measures including encryption, firewalls and secure socket layer technology. However, these measures do not guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software. By using our Web Service, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
IV. YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING THE USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
V. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
USE OF WEB SERVICE
The following rules apply when you view or use the Web Service www.alxcommunity.com or by accessing the Web Service. Please review the following terms carefully. By accessing or using the Web Service, you signify your agreement to these rules. If you do not agree to be bound by these rules in their entirety, you may not access or use the Web Service.
ABOUT THE WEB SERVICE
The Web Service allows you to access your account information online, visit an exclusive members’ area of the software platform where you can interact with other members (through private chats and/or open discussions), search members by specific skill sets or industry and access benefits from our partner companies.
REGISTRATION; RULES FOR USER CONDUCT AND USE OF THE WEB SERVICE Yo
You need to be at least 18 years old and a resident of the United States to register for and use the Web Service. If you are a user who signs up for the Web Service, you will create a personalized account that includes a unique username and a password to access the Web Service and to receive messages from ALX Community. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your password and/or account. ALX Community will not be responsible for any liabilities, losses, or damages arising out of the unauthorized use of your member name, password and/or account.
Your permission to use the Site is conditioned upon the following use, posting and conduct restrictions. You agree that you will not under any circumstances:
- access the Web Service for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as permitted by the normal functionality of the Web Service;
- collect or harvest any personal data of any user of the Site or the Web Service;
- use the Site or the Web Service for the solicitation of business in the course of trade or in connection with a commercial enterprise;
- distribute any part or parts of the Site or the Web Service without our explicit written permission (we grant the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of creating publicly-available searchable indices, but retain the right to revoke this permission at any time on a general or specific basis);
- use the Web Service for any unlawful purpose or for the promotion of illegal activities;
- harass, abuse or harm another person or group, or attempt to do so;
- use another user’s account without permission;
- intentionally allow another user to access your account;
- provide false or inaccurate information when registering an account;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of the Web Service;
- make any automated use of the Site, the Web Service or the related systems, or take any action that we deem to impose or to potentially impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our servers or network infrastructure;
- bypass any robot exclusion headers or other measures we take to restrict access to the Web Service, or use any software, technology, or device to scrape, spider, or crawl the Web Service or harvest or manipulate data;
- circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the Web Service or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of content, or enforce limitations on use of the Web Service or the content accessible via the Web Service; or
- publish or link to malicious content of any sort, including that intended to damage or disrupt another user’s browser or computer.
POSTING AND CONDUCT RESTRICTIONS
When you create your own personalized account, you will be able to provide additional information about your skill sets and industry experience (“User Content”) to the Web Service. You are solely responsible for the User Content that you post, upload, link to or otherwise make available via the Web Service. You agree that we are only acting as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of your User Content. ALX Community, however, reserves the right to remove any User Content from the Web Service at its sole discretion. We grant you permission to use and access the Web Service, subject to the following express conditions surrounding User Content. You agree that failure to adhere to any of these conditions constitutes a material breach of these Posting and Conduct Restrictions. By transmitting and submitting any User Content while using the Web Service, you agree as follows:
- You are solely responsible for your account and the activity that occurs while signed in to or while using your account;
- You will not post information that is malicious, libelous, false or inaccurate;
- You will not post any information that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory, libelous, or racially, sexually, religiously, or otherwise objectionable and offensive;
- You retain all ownership rights in your User Content but you are required to grant the following rights to the Site and to users of the Web Service as set forth more fully under the “License Grant” and “Intellectual Property” provisions below: When you upload or post User Content to the Site or the Web Service, you grant to the Site a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform that Content in connection with the provision of the Web Service; and you grant to each user of the Web Service, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to access your User Content through the Web Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such Content to the extent permitted by the Web Service and under these Posting and Conduct Restrictions;
- You will not submit content that is copyrighted or subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy, publicity, trade secret, or others, unless you are the owner of such rights or have the appropriate permission from their rightful owner to specifically submit such content; and
- You hereby agree that we have the right to determine whether your User Content submissions are appropriate and comply with these Posting and Conduct Restrictions, remove any and/or all of your submissions, and terminate your account with or without prior notice. You understand and agree that any liability, loss or damage that occurs as a result of the use of any User Content that you make available or access through your use of the Web Service is solely your responsibility. The Site is not responsible for any public display or misuse of your User Content. The Site does not, and cannot, pre-screen or monitor all User Content. However, at our discretion, we, or technology we employ, may monitor and/or record your interactions with the Web Service or with other users.
ONLINE CONTENT DISCLAIMER
Opinions, advice, statements, offers, or other information or content made available through the Web Service, but not directly by the Site, are those of their respective authors, and should not necessarily be relied upon. Such authors are solely responsible for such content. We do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information on the Site or the Web Service nor do we adopt nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice, or statement made by other parties. We take no responsibility and assume no liability for any User Content that you or any other user or third party posts or sends via the Web Service. Under no circumstances will we be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from anyone’s reliance on information or other content posted on the Web Service, or transmitted to users. Though we strive to enforce the Posting and Conduct Restrictions, you may be exposed to User Content that is inaccurate or objectionable when you use or access the Site or the Web Service. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor the materials posted in the public areas of the Site or the Web Service or to limit or deny a user’s access to the Web Service or take other appropriate action if a user violates the Posting and Conduct Restrictions or engages in any activity that violates the rights of any person or entity or which we deem unlawful, offensive, abusive, harmful or malicious. (E-mails sent between you and other participants that are not readily accessible to the general public will be treated by us as private to the extent required by applicable law.) ALX Community shall have the right to remove any material that in its sole opinion violates, or is alleged to violate, the law or the Posting and Conduct Restrictions or which might be offensive, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of users or others. Unauthorized use may result in criminal and/or civil prosecution under Federal, State and local law. If you become aware of a misuse of our Web Service or violation of the Posting and Conduct Restrictions, please contact us at [email protected]
LINKS TO OTHER SITES AND/OR MATERIALS
As part of the Web Service, we may provide you with convenient links to third party website(s) (“Third Party Sites”) as well as content or items belonging to or originating from third parties (the “Third Party Applications, Software or Content”). These links are provided as a courtesy to Web Service subscribers. We have no control over Third Party Sites or Third Party Applications, Software or Content or the promotions, materials, information, goods or services available on these Third Party Sites or Third Party Applications, Software or Content. Such Third Party Sites and Third Party Applications, Software or Content are not investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness, and we are not responsible for any Third Party Sites accessed through the Site or any Third Party Applications, Software or Content posted on, available through or installed from the Site, including the content, accuracy, offensiveness, opinions, reliability, privacy practices or other policies of or contained in the Third Party Sites or the Third Party Applications, Software or Content. Inclusion of, linking to or permitting the use or installation of any Third Party Site or any Third Party Applications, Software or Content does not imply our approval or endorsement. If you decide to leave the Site and access the Third Party Sites or to use or install any Third Party Applications, Software or Content, you do so at your own risk, and you should be aware that our terms and policies, including the Posting and Conduct Restrictions, no longer govern. You should review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any Third Party Site to which you navigate from the Site or relating to any applications you use or install from the Third Party Site.
ALX Community is committed to complying with U.S. copyright and related laws, and requires all members and users of ALX Community to comply with these laws. Accordingly, you may not store or disseminate any material or content in a manner that constitutes an infringement of third party intellectual property rights, infringing rights granted by U.S. copyright law. Owners of copyrighted works who believe their rights have been infringed may take advantage of certain provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) to report alleged infringements. ALX Community reserves the right to terminate the membership of any member who is either found to infringe a third party copyright or other intellectual rights, or who ALX Community believes in its sole judgment is infringing these rights.
By posting any User Content via the Web Service, you expressly grant, and you represent and warrant that you have a right to grant, to ALX Community a royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, edit, translate, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, and make derivative works of all such User Content and your name, voice, and/or likeness as contained in your User Content, if applicable, in whole or in part, and in any form, media or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, for use in connection with the Web Service.
You acknowledge and agree that we and our licensors retain ownership of all intellectual property rights of any kind related to the Web Service, including applicable copyrights, trademarks and other proprietary rights. Other product and company names that are mentioned on the Web Service may be trademarks of their respective owners. We reserve all rights that are not expressly granted to you under these Community Rules.
EMAIL MAY NOT BE USED TO PROVIDE NOTICE
Except as otherwise provided in ALX Community’s Terms and Conditions, communications made through the Web Service’s email and messaging system will not constitute legal notice to ALX Community, or any of its officers, employees, agents or representatives, in any situation where legal notice is required by contract or any law or regulation.
USER CONSENT TO RECEIVE COMMUNICATIONS IN ELECTRONIC FORM
For contractual purposes, you: (a) consent to receive communications from us in an electronic form via the email address you have submitted; and (b) agree that all Community Rules, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if they were in writing. The foregoing does not affect your non-waivable rights. We may also use your email address to send you other messages, including information about the Site or the Web Service and special offers. You may opt out of such email by changing your account settings, by using the “Unsubscribe” link in the message, or by sending an email to [email protected] or mail to the following postal address: Customer Support, ALX Community, Suite 110, 201 N Union Street, Alexandria, VA 22314. Opting out may prevent you from receiving messages regarding the Site, the Web Service or special offers.
THE WEB SERVICE, IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, REGARDING THE WEB SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, SECURITY, ACCURACY AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION THAT ACCESS TO OR OPERATION OF THE WEB SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK OF LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR DOWNLOADING AND/OR USE OF FILES, INFORMATION, CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIAL OBTAINED FROM THE WEB SERVICE. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT PERMIT DISCLAIMERS OF WARRANTY, SO THIS PROVISION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL ALX COMMUNITY, ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OR EMPLOYEES, OR ITS LICENSORS OR PARTNERS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS, USE, OR DATA, OR FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, HOWEVER ARISING, THAT RESULT FROM: (A) THE USE, DISCLOSURE, OR DISPLAY OF YOUR USER CONTENT; (B) YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEB SERVICE; (C) THE WEB SERVICE GENERALLY OR THE SOFTWARE OR SYSTEMS THAT MAKE THE WEB SERVICE AVAILABLE; OR (D) ANY OTHER INTERACTIONS WITH THE WEB SERVICE OR ANY OTHER USER OF THE WEB SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT PERMIT DISCLAIMERS OF LIABILITY, SO THIS PROVISION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. If you have a dispute with one or more users, a restaurant or a merchant of a product or service that you review using the Web Service, you release us (and our officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes. If you are a California resident using the Web Service, you specifically waive California Civil Code §1542, which says: “A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.”